In 1905 William Durant of the Buick Motor Company asked wheel and axel manufacturer Charles Stewart Mott (1875-1973) to build axels in Flint. The Mott family and business moved from Utica, New York, to Flint by 1907. In 1913 Mott's company joined General Motors, where he was vice president from 1917 to 1937 and on the Board of Directors from 1937 to 1973. Mott served three terms as mayor of Flint: 1912, 1913 and 1918. He purchased sixty-four acres of farmland here in 19115 and contracted his brother-in-law Herbert Davis to design his residence, Applewood. Built in 1916-17, at a cost of more than $70,000, the estate was named for the farm's apple grove. The 15,444-square-foot house was designed in a modified Jacobean style. Mott's wife Ethel Harding Mott helped furnish the thirty-five room home which included a bowling alley.