Roswell Everett, a native of New York State, came to Michigan in 1834. In 1841 he moved to Ingham County and immediately involved himself in public affairs. Everett (1790 - 1871) is credited with naming Delphi Township, which he helped organize in 1842. He held many township offices, serving as the first treasurer and assessor, and later as justice of the peace and supervisor. In 1846, Everett hosted a meeting here to organize Delphi Township School District No. 2.