This flamboyant Arts and Crafts style house was constructed in 1912. It's first resident, Seirn B. Cole (1861-1947), was a native of New Jersey. He and his wife, Elizabeth Farmer, lived in Detroit before they moved here where Cole was the contractor for the Battle Creek City Hall
. Cole eventually became one of the city's most active contractors. By the time he retired in 1934, his contributions to the city's architecture included the Ralston-Purina Plant, the Masonic Temple, the Battle Creek High School and the YMCA. During his fifty-year career, he also worked on the Ypsilanti Stone Water Tower
and schools throughout the state. Cole was a civic leader. He was a 32nd degree mason and a charter member of the Battle Creek Country Club.