In the 1850s, the Methodist Episcopal (Indian) Church established the Bradley Mission School and Indian Cemetery in this area. The cemetery served the mission until the late 1860s. Only a few grave markers are visible, and it is not known how many Indians are buried here. The best-known Indian buried here was Chief Shaw - Shaw - Waw - Na - Beece (1817-1868). As leader of the Saginaw Swan Creek and Black River Band of Chippewa, he signed the Treaty of 1855, which set aside six adjoining townships of land in Isabella County for his tribe.