This thirty-one room mansion, built for $250,000 in 1891-92, was the home of John Torrent (1833-1915), pioneering lumberman, alderman, justice of the peace and Muskegon mayor for three terms. A successful entrepreneur. Torrent owned shingle, saw and lumber mills in Muskegon, Manistee, Ludington, Whitehall, Traverse City and Sault Ste. Marie, equipping them all with the most modern machinery. Over the years, this structure also housed a mortuary, hospital and the local Red Cross headquarters. In 1972, the city purchased the house to prevent its demolition.