David Whitney Building


David Whitney Building photo of David Whitney Building
Opened in 1915, this building was named for David Whitney, Jr. (1830-1900), a Detroit lumber, real estate and shipping magnate. During construction the Detroit Free Press called it the "finest in the country." Daniel H. Burnham and Company designed the structure with retail on the first four floors, including clothing stores and jewelers. A central four story atrium allowed light into the interior of the upper-floor offices, most of which were medical. When the Whitney family sold the building in 196, more that three hundred doctors and dentists had offices here. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Grand Circus Park Historic District in 1938. It reopened in 2014, rehabilitated for use as a hotel and apartments.
 

Dedicated October

Registered Site S0743
Erected 2016

Location: 1 Park Avenue
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings
Historic Homes
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.335659547 W83.05011749
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2016 James Brennan. All rights reserved.