The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War


The Barracks photo of The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War
When the Civil War began in 1861, this corner site housed a commercial building called the Norris Block. Its location across the street from the railroad station made it an ideal place for short-term lodging for enlistees waiting to be sent off to battle, and locals soon dubbed it The Barracks. The Ypsilanti Light Guard, a local militia company that became Company H, First Michigan Infantry, stayed here in the spring of 1861. They mustered in Detroit on May 1 and arrived in Washington, D.C., on May 16. Recruits for the Fourteenth Michigan Infantry, including 129 men from Washtenaw County, spent six months here from September 1861 to February 1862 while the regiments ranks were filled. The Fourteenth first saw action as part of the siege of Corinth, Mississippi.
 
 
a photo of The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War Ypsilanti in the Civil War
More than 4,000 soldiers from Washtenaw County served during the Civil War. Hundreds bivouacked here, in the Norris Block, before mustering into service. More than thirty men who were students or graduates of the Michigan State Normal School (now Eastern Michigan University) joined Company E of the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry in 1862. Their first action was at South Mountain in Maryland. In December 1863, the First Michigan Colored Infantry stopped here as part of its state-wide recruiting drive. In 1902 veterans of the Twenty-Seventh Michigan Infantry held their reunion here. Since the 1880s this site has been known as the Thompson Block and has had a variety of commercial uses.

Photo courtesy of Jack Dempsey.

Registered Site S0724
Erected 2012

Location: 404-412 North River Street
Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Events


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.246246728 W83.60852658
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.