W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate


W. H. L. McCourtie photo of W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate
Somerset Center native W. H. L. McCourtie (1872 - 1933) was introduced to the cement industry by W. F. Cowham of Jackson in 1897. McCourtie soon went to Dallas, Texas, where he made a fortune speculating in oil and established the Trinity Portland Cement Company. During the 1920s McCourtie returned to Somerset Center. In 1924 he acquired his family's home and turned it into a community showplace. McCourtie sought to create a model town. He gave free white paint to any home owner that needed it. He also hosted the community's annual homecoming celebration. Thousands of people came to "Aiden Lair" to witness stunt flyers and enjoy baseball, local musicians, dancing and unlimited refreshments. At the height of the Great Depression, McCourtie offered his estate as a place "Where Friends Meet Friends and Part More Friendly."
 
 
a photo of W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate W. H. L. McCourtie Estate
The W. H. L. McCourtie Estate, may contain the country's largest collection of el trabeio rustico, the Mexican folk tradition of sculpting concrete to look like wood. Around 1930, most likely inspired by work he had seen in Texas, cement tycoon W. H. L. McCourtie hired itinerant Mexican artisans George Cardoso and Ralph Corona to construct seventeen bridges on his property. The artisans formed the bridges with steel rods and then hand sculpted wet concrete to resemble planed lumber, rough logs, thatch and rope. Different species of trees can be identified. Two concrete trees that stand on the property continue to serve as chimneys for the underground rathskellar and garage. The McCourtie estate is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

See Also: St. Joseph's Shrine


Registered Site S0624
Erected 1994

Location: US-12 Near Jackson Rd.
Somerset Center, Hillsdale County

Topics:
Historic Homes
Prominent People


Home

Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.0501849 W84.4069290
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.