Sainte Anne Church


Sainte Anne Church photo of Sainte Anne Church
In 1670, Jesuit Father Charles Dablon founded a birchbark mission chapel on Mackinac Island. The following year, Father Jacques Marquette relocated the mission at St. Ignace. Abandoned in 1706 and reestablished at Fort Michilimackinac around 1715, the new church was named Sainte Anne de Michilimackinac. During the winter of 1780 - 1781, British to the island and moved the church building across the ice. The church is the nation's oldest dedicated to Saint Anne, and maintains baptismal records dating from April 1695.
 

Registered Site S0622
Erected 1992

Location: Huron St.
Mackinac Island, Mackinac County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.85012 W84.61168
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.