St. Joseph's Church / Shrine


St. Joseph's Church photo of St. Joseph
St. Joseph's Church originated as a missionary church during the 1850s. Priests from Adrian, Clinton, Manchester, Tecumseh and Monroe served the parish until the first resident priest arrived in 1954. The original church, which is still part of the present structure, was constructed by Irish pioneers. In 1863 the first Mass was held in the church, The tower and stained-glass windows were added in 1911. In 1928, Father Joseph Pfeffer from St. Mary's in Manchester served here and oversaw the enlargement and remodeling of the church to its present form. The transept was built and nave enlarged, transforming the church to a cruciform plan. The red tile roof, the tower and the use of mosaic, tile and wrought iron in the interior give the church its Spanish Mission flavor.
 
 
St. Joseph's Shrine
As part of the 1928 expansion of St. Joseph's Church, a shrine -- inspired by the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in France -- was designed. In 1932 work began on the fourteen outdoor stations of the cross, which depict scenes of the Via Dolorosa (the sorrowful way), that Jesus walked to Calvary. The footpath begins at a replica of Pontius Pilates's palace then winds past balconied houses, through the judgment gate and ends at Christ's tomb. The crucifixion scene is sculpted from Carrara marble. Two Mexican artisans, Dionicio Rodriguez and Ralph Corona, under the supervision of Leo Ouelette, sculpted the steps, archways and railings from wet cement to resemble stone and timber.

See Also: W. H. L. McCourtie Estate


Registered Site S0611
Erected 1991

Location: 8743 US-12
Tipton, Lenawee County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home

Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.0566934 W84.1649883
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.