Hackley Public Library


Hackley Public Library photo of Hackley Public Library
On May 25, 1888, Muskegon lumber baron Charles H. Hackley announced that he would donate a library to the city. Hackley stipulated that the facility be "forever maintained as a library." Patton and Fisher of Chicago, one of the six firms invited to submit a plan for the library designed a Richardsonian Romanesque - style building. The library was constructed of Maine granite and trimmed with Marquette sandstone. The reading room windows depict Shakespeare, Goethe, Longfellow and Prescott.
 
 
Side 2
Muskegon citizens celebrated the laying of the Hackley Public Library cornerstone on May 25, 1889, the anniversary of Charles Hackley's donation of the library. It was the first annual celebration held in recognition of Hackley. The previous year the board of education had resolved that classes would be suspended annually on May 25 on Hackley's honor. On October 15, 1890, the completed library was dedicated. The lot, building and furnishings amounted to a $175,000 gift.

Registered Site S0606
Erected 1990

Location: 316 West Webster
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.2339556 W86.2516075
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.