St. Marys Pro-Cathedral


St. Marys Pro-Cathedral photo of St. Marys Pro-Cathedral
In 1853, Pope Pius IX separated the Upper Peninsula from the Diocese of Detroit and established a vicariate apostolic. Reverend Frederic Baraga, a missionary from L'Anse, became vicar apostolic and made St. Mary's Church his headquarters. In 1857 the vicariate became a diocese, Baraga was named "Bishop of the Sault" and the log cabin known as St. Mary's became a cathedral. With the onset of mining, settlements sprang up in the western Upper Peninsula. Faced with the task of serving these remote parishes, Bishop Baraga obtained the pope's permission to move the seat to the diocese to Marquette. In May 1866, Baraga left St. Mary's and the parish became the pro-cathedral parish. In 1881 the present Gothic Revival-style church, designed by Joseph Connolly of Toronto, was erected.
 

Registered Site S0595
Erected 1990

Location: 320 East Portage Avenue
Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.498756 W84.341358
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.