Schoolhouse


Schoolhouse photo of Schoolhouse
In 1891 Congress established the Mount Pleasant Indian Industrial School and appropriated $25,000 for land and buildings. Local citizens contributed and additional $3,400 for the land. First occupied on June 30,1893, the school building contained eight classrooms and an auditorium. The school, emphasizing academics and vocational training, operated until 1934, with an average enrollment of three hundred. That year the property was transferred to the State of Michigan becoming the Mount Pleasant branch of the Michigan Home and Training School.
 

Registered Site S0574
Erected 1987

Location: Harris Street
Mount Pleasant, Isabella County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.611968193 W84.78848934
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.