Russell A. Alger House "The Moorings"


Russell A. Alger House "The Moorings" photo of Russell A. Alger House "The Moorings"
Russell A. Alger, Jr., (1773-1930) son of Michigan's Governor Russell Alger, built this Italian Renaissance style mansion in 1910. Alger was one of the founders of the Packard Motor Car Company. Charles A. Platt of New York designed this elaborate structure, and Ellen Shipman of New York landscaped the grounds. The home, situated on Lake St. Clair, was referred to as "The Moorings." Alger lived here until his death in 1930. From 1936 to 1948, the house was used by the Detroit Institute of Arts as a branch museum. In 1949 it was deeded to the Grosse Pointe War Memorial Association in memory of those who served and died in our nation's war and for facilitating the educational, cultural, and civic needs of the community.
 

Registered Site S0548
Erected 1983

Location: 32 Lake Shore Drive
Grosse Pte Farms, Wayne County

Topics:
Governors
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3870069 W82.8976714
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.