State Savings Bank


State Savings Bank photo of State Savings Bank
Completed in 1900, this is Michigan's preeminent example of design by the internationally renowned architects, McKim, Mead and White of New York. The three-story Neoclassical structure features a white marble exterior with bronze window units. Among its superbly crafted interior features are carved Roman arched colonades with bronze grillwork and gold-leaf detail on the two-story high ceiling of the main room. In 1907 Peoples Savings Bank (established 1871) merged with the State Savings Bank (established in 1833) and made this structure its home. Having outgrown outgrown these quarters by 1914, Peoples State Bank commissioned Detroit architects Donaldson and Meier to design the Congress Street addition. The building became the world headquarters of Silver's Inc. in 1980.
 

Registered Site S0536
Erected 1982

Location: 151 West Fort Street
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.329334 W83.048031
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.