The Welfare Building


The Welfare Building photo of The Welfare Building
The Welfare Building was constructed in 1906 as a recreation facility for the workers of the Glazier Stove Company. It featured a swimming pool, a billiard hall, a basketball court, a theatre and a reading room. Chelsea native Frank P. Glazier, who was Michigan state treasurer from 1904 to 1908, founded the stove company in 1891. Because Chelsea, a predominantly rural community, lacked skilled labor, most of the company's workers commuted weekly via a special train from Detroit. In 1907 Glazier declared bankruptcy. The building was sold to the Lewis Spring & Axle Company, which manufactured the short-lived Hollier Eight automobile. Since 1960 the building has housed the Chelsea Standard.
 

Note: According to an update received from Michelle Rogers, editor of the The Chelsea Standard, the newspaper has not been housed there since 1995.


Registered Site S0524
Erected 1986

Location: 300 North Main
Chelsea, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3194982 W84.0196716
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.