Mackenzie House


Mackenzie House photo of Mackenzie House
This 1895 Queen Anne style house, designed by Malcolmson & Higginbotham, was the home of David Mackenzie. Educator, scholar, and humanitarian, Mackenzie fostered higher education of Detroit students. While principal of Central High School, then housed in what is now "Old Main," he established the Detroit Junior College in 1917. Six years later that institution expanded to become the College of the City of Detroit with Mackenzie as its first dean. This was the nucleus from which Wayne State University grew.
 

Registered Site S0514
Erected 1979

Location: 4735 Cass Avenue
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.354236 W83.065803
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.