Harold C. Brooks / Fitch Gorham Brooks House


Harold C. Brooks
Harold C. Brooks (1885-1978) was Marshall's mayor from 1925 to 1931, patron, and philanthropist. His interest in city beautification set a standard for preservation and adaptive use as early as 1921. He owned and protected more than a dozen Marshall buildings. Brooks is responsible for the design of the Marshall Post Office, the conversion of the Old Stone Barn into Town Hall, and presentation of the Brooks Memorial Fountain to the city. He donated land for veterans, the airport, recreational uses and funds for education and hospital facilities.
 
 
a photo of Harold C. Brooks / Fitch Gorham Brooks House Fitch-Gorham-Brooks House
Built by Jabez S. Fitch in 1849, this handsome residence became the home of Charles T. Gorham, prominent Marshall citizen in 1848. Harold C. Brooks purchased the house in 1921 and contracted with landscape architect Jens Jensen to design the grounds. The Reverend John D. Pierce and Isaac E. Crary planned the Michigan public school system in 1834 under the oak now by the west entrance. This Greek Revival structure with five-column arrangement and side entrances reflects the New York heritage of this city's early settlers.

Registered Site S0512
Erected 1977

Location: 310 North Kalamazoo Avenue
Marshall, Calhoun County

Topics:
Historic Homes
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.274355 W84.964194
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.