Edsel & Eleanor Ford House


Edsel & Eleanor Ford House photo of Edsel & Eleanor Ford House
Edsel Ford, president of the Ford Motor Company for many years, and his wife, Eleanor Clay, completed this 87-acre estate in 1927. Architect Albert Kahn derived the design precedents in Cotswold, England, and many of the materials, including the staircase, paneling, and the fireplaces, were brought from old English homes. Noted landscape architect Jens Jensen developed the grounds. The Fords were collectors of art and antiques, and benefactors of local and national institutions. Edsel was instrumental in the creation of the Ford Foundation in 1936. He died here on May 26, 1943. His wife, who lived here until her death on October 19, 1976, endowed the property and directed it be maintained for public use.
 

Other buildings designed by Albert Kahn



Registered Site S0498
Erected 1980

Location: Jefferson Avenue North of Vernior
Grosse Pte Shores, Macomb County

Topics:
Auto Industry
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4542114 W82.8736925
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.