St. Patrick's Church


St. Patrick's Church photo of St. Patrick
Catholicism in Northfield Township dates from the early nineteenth century. In 1829 Father Patrick O'Kelly, a native of Kilkenny, Ireland, was sent to the area to minister to the Irish Catholics who were settling in southwestern Michigan. The first parish church, a log structure, was completed on this site in 1831. Originally named St. Brigid, this is the oldest English-speaking Catholic parish in the state. The present Gothic Revival style church was completed and dedicated in 1878. The parish was renamed St. Patrick's at that time. The rectory was completed in 1890. In 1917 the church and rectory were badly damaged by a cyclone; however, both were rebuilt in subsequent years. Serving the area for 150 years, the parish continues to reach out to the needs of the surrounding community.
 

Registered Site S0494
Erected 1981

Location: Northfield Church and Whitmore Lake Roads
Northfield Township, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3578303 W83.7511825
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.