Elmwood Cemetery


Elmwood Cemetery photo of Elmwood Cemetery
In 1846 when this was a farm on the outskirts of Detroit, a group of gentlemen formed a corporation and purchased the land for use as a public cemetery. The trustees patterned the grounds after Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and utilized the ideas of famous landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Parent's Creek, renamed Bloody Run after the battle fought between Pontiac and the British in 1763, serves as the focus in the informal country garden landscape. Albert and Octavius Jordon designed the handsome Gothic Revival Chapel, which opened for services in 1856. The chapel's limestone walls blend into the natural ravine and tree-lined paths. Famous people buried here include General Russell Alger, geologist Douglass Houghton, and Territorial Governor Lewis Cass.
 
 
a photo of Elmwood Cemetery Detail
Gravesite of Governor Lewis Cass

Registered Site S0453
Erected 1977

Location: Robert Bradley Dr
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.34544 W83.01775
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.