Detroit Memorial Hospital


Detroit Memorial Hospital
In 1845 the Daughters of Charity founded St. Vincent's Hospital, the first in Michigan. They moved to the present site in 1850, renaming the hospital St. Mary's. Here charitable, non-sectarian care included attention to orphans, epidemic victims and the insane until separate facilities were provided. During the Civil and Spanish-American wars, St. Mary's served as a military hospital. Gradually it expanded to provide 325 beds and a wide range of medical and teaching services. Extensive remodeling ensured patient comfort and modernized care. Its voluntary closing in 1949 promoted a non-profit corporation of St. Mary's physicians to purchase and rename the hospital Detroit Memorial. Thus, a long tradition of medical care continues on this site.
 

Registered Site S0424
Erected 1974

Location: St. Antoine
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Missing Markers
Public Buildings

Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3402434 W83.0434656
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.