St. Joseph's Retreat


St. Joseph's Retreat photo of St. Joseph
In 1885 Michigan's first private mental institution was located here under the guidance of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. In 1855 the Sisters at St. Mary's Hospital in Detroit had begun the care of the mentally ill, formerly confined to prison and poorhouses. In 1860 they opened a separate facility, The Michigan State Retreat, which was incorporated in 1883 as St. Joseph's Retreat. The original brick building situated on these 140 acres of farmland and lawns overlooking the River Rouge was enlarged and encircled by outer structures to accommodate 400 patients. At first these included Civil War veterans; later alcoholics, drug addicts, and other curables were rehabilitated. In 1962 the Retreat was closed since it no longer met the pressing needs; the impressive structure was subsequently razed.
 

Registered Site S0386
Erected 1974

Location: 23300 Michigan Avenue
Dearborn, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.30215 W83.26317
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.