Omena Presbyterian Church


Omena Presbyterian Church photo of Omena Presbyterian Church
In 1839 the Reverend Peter Dougherty founded Old Mission in the Grand Traverse area. The church, comprising Indians and whites, was organized in 1843. After 1850 the Indians were allowed to buy land, they and the church moved to Omena, or New Mission in 1852. This church resembling those of New England, was built and dedicated in 1858. Since the 1880s it is used mostly in summer. It remains relatively unchanged from the original.
 

Registered Site S0350
Erected 1975

Location: M-22
Omena, Leelanau County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.0570919 W85.5867576
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.