Saint Mary's


Saint Mary's photo of Saint Mary
The Roman Catholic Church in Niles traces its origin to the Indian Mission established at nearby Fort St. Joseph in the late 1600's. Reestablished at Bertrand, three miles south of Niles, in the 1830s, the mission moved into town in 1849 and was renamed St. Francis's. In 1866 the cornerstone of the present building was laid and on December 11, 1870, the church was dedicated to St. Mary. Designed by Rufus Rose of Niles with later modifications by Father John Cappon, the church was completed in 1890 with the construction of the gothic tower. Father Cappon, known as the "parish's greatest benefactor," was a Belgian-born priest who served as pastor for over thirty years. He gave generously of his large personal estate for many parish improvements.
 

Registered Site S0344
Erected 1971

Location: 211 South Lincoln
Niles, Berrien County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.825113 W86.263738
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.