Frederick Hall House


Frederick Hall House photo of Frederick Hall House
Captain Lucius Mills, a local builder, constructed this house for Frederick and Ann Hall in 1869-1870. Built of varigated Ionia sandstone, this house is an outstanding example of the Italian Villla style. Frederick Hall came to Ionia County in 1837 when President James K. Polk appointed him deputy land register at the U.S. Land Office in Lyons. He held numerous public offices, including state representative and congressman, and became Ionia's first mayor in 1873. Community churches and schools benefitted from the Halls' generosity. In 1903 their only child, Marion Hall-Fowler (1849-1931) deeded the house to the city, stipulating that it be "forever used for library purposes" and "known as the Hall-Fowler Memorial Library."
 

Registered Site S0326
Erected 1992

Location: 126 East Main St.
Ionia, Ionia County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.982795 W85.062209
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.