SS. Peter and Paul Church


SS. Peter and Paul Church photo of SS. Peter and Paul Church
This is the oldest extant church in Detroit. Designed by Francis Letourno in the basilica form, it was built between 1844 and 1848 and served as the cathedral of the Detroit diocese under Bishop Lefevre. In 1877 Bishop Borgess gave the parish to the Jesuit Fathers to build a college here. This is now the University of Detroit. The church exterior retains its original simplicity and dignity.
 

Registered Site S0325
Erected 1974

Location: 629 East Jefferson
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.331717 W83.038273
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.