St. Joseph's Mission


St. Joseph's Mission photo of St. Joseph
Here in 1837, in the then flourishing settlement of Bertrand, a fine brick church, dedicated to St. Joseph, was built to serve the Catholics of this area. In this church on September 6, 1844, the habit of the Sisters of the Holy Cross was given for the first time in America. Those who received the habit were Sister Mary of the Holy Cross, Sister Mary of the Nativity, Sister Mary of Mount Carmel. The sisterhood opened a school this same year in a dwelling which still stands a thousand feet to the north. This mission in the Detroit diocese was directed by the Edward Sorin C.S.C., founder of the University of Notre Dame. In 1911, the church was torn down. Madeline Bertrand, wife of the town's founder, is among those buried in this historic cemetery.
 

Registered Site S0260
Erected 1964

Location: North of Bertrand Rd at Adams
Bertrand, Berrien County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.7749603 W86.2642192
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.