Andrews University


Andrews University photo of Andrews University
This, the oldest Seventh-day Adventist college and the pioneer in a world-wide system of Christian education, was chartered in 1874 at Battle Creek as Battle Creek College. It was moved to Berrien Springs in 1901 where its name was changed to Emmanuel Missionary College. The first classes were held in tents. The old Berrien County Courthouse served as an administration building. Permanent buildings were erected by student labor. In 1960 the Adventists' Theological Seminary, founded in 1934, and the Graduate School (1957), were moved here from Washington D.C., to join Emmanuel Missionary College under one charter as Andrews University. The name honors a pioneer Adventist author, administrator, and missionary, John Nevins Andrews.
 

Registered Site S0250
Erected 1965

Location: Labardy Road
Berrien Springs, Berrien County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.9623940 W86.3591909
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.