Alabaster


Alabaster photo of Alabaster
This area is named after a variety of gypsum, discovered offshore by Douglass Houghton in 1837. Prospectors soon began searching for other gypsum deposits, and this quarry was opened in 1862 by B.F. Smith. Used at first as fertilizer and as an ingredient in plaster, gypsum is now used principally in the manufacture of wallboard. A fire in 1891 destroyed the operation but it was rebuilt in time to supply material for the main buildings at the Chicago Columbian Exposition of 1893. These buildings, with marble-like walls, earned the exposition the title "White City," and greatly expanded gypsum sales. Incorporated into the U.S. Gypsum Co. in 1902, this quarry has helped make Michigan a leading producer of gypsum for over a century.
 

Registered Site S0247
Erected 1978

Location: Benson and Turtle Roads
Alabaster, Iosco County

Topics:
Cities and Towns
Natural Features


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.1903128 W83.5566687
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.