Spring Arbor College


Spring Arbor College photo of Spring Arbor College
Three Michigan institutions of higher education have had their roots here. The predecessor of Albion College, the Spring Arbor Seminary was chartered in 1835. Michigan Central College, founded in 1844, was located here until its removal in 1855 when it became Hillsdale College. Spring Arbor was opened by free Methodists in 1873 as an academy with elementary and secondary grades. In 1928 the elementary program was discontinued when a junior college was officially introduced. The high school was terminated in 1961 when a senior college was proposed. In September 1963, the first junior class was accepted into the regionally accredited four-year liberal arts college. Throughout its history, the Spring Arbor Faculty and students have been dedicated to "the serious study of the liberal arts, commitment to Jesus Christ as a perspective for learning and participation in the campus community and the contemporary world."
 

Registered Site S0246
Erected 1963

Location: Campus north of M-60
Spring Arbor, Jackson County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2061420 W84.5520687
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.