Benzonia College


Benzonia College photo of Benzonia College
In 1858, in what was then a remote wilderness, the Rev. Charles E. Bailey and four families from his Ohio Congregational parish founded Benzonia colony. It was to be an "educational Christian colony" modeled after the earlier Congregational settlements at Oberlin, Ohio and Olivet, Michigan. As an integral part of the new community, Grand Traverse College was chartered in 1863. Its first building was erected on this corner. During the pioneer era it provided college preparatory work and teacher training. The school was reorganized as Benzonia College in 1891. It supplied college-level education until 1900. Benzonia Academy was then maintained until changed conditions led to its closing in 1918. Benzonia College and Academy fulfilled the founders dream of bringing coeducational opportunity to northern Michigan.
 

Registered Site S0245
Erected 1964

Location: Village Park across US-31 from Mills Community House
Benzonia, Benzie County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.619096585 W86.09952628
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.