First Women's Club in Michigan


First Women's Club in Michigan photo of First Women
This building, completed in 1879, is the first in the nation erected for the use of a women's club. The Ladies Library Association, organized in January, 1852, grew out of a reading club started in 1844. It was the first women's club in Michigan and the third in the United States. Mrs. Lucinda H. Stone, who is known as the "Mother of Women's Clubs," helped found this club. The Association has had a continuous existence from its organization.
 

Registered Site S0221
Erected 1962

Location: 333 South Park
Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.289321 W85.587115
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.