First Roadside Park


First Roadside Park photo of First Roadside Park
In 1918 the Iron County Board of Supervisors approved the recommendation of the road commission, through its engineer-manager, Herbert F. Larson, to purchase this 320-acre tract of roadside virgin timber and to dedicate it as a forest preserve. The following year Iron County established Michigan's first roadside park and picnic tables. This was quite likely America's first such facility. Since then similar parks have been provided by most states for the comfort and enjoyment of the traveling motorist.
 

Registered Site S0213
Erected 1964

Location: US-2 four miles east of Iron River.
Bates Township, Iron County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.106505709 W88.54778766
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.