Albion College


Albion College photo of Albion College
Methodists obtained a charter for Spring Arbor Seminary from the Territorial Council of Michigan in March, 1835. Later the institution was established in Albion on land donated by Jesse Crowell, a leading Albion pioneer and benefactor. In 1841 the cornerstone was laid for the first building, and in 1843, the institution opened as the Wesleyan Seminary. In 1861 the power to confer degrees was obtained and the school named Albion College. Support from the Methodist Church, a large endowment, and private sources have contributed to its growth as a strong liberal arts college.
 

Registered Site S0212
Erected 1958

Location: Michigan Avenue at Ingham Street
Albion, Calhoun County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2466200 W84.7442007
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.