"Vehicle City"


"Vehicle City" photo of "Vehicle City"
Flint, platted in 1836, became known as the "Vehicle City." The production of road carts reached 150,000 annually. Due to the foresight of its vehicle manufacturers Flint has become second only to Detroit area in the production of motor vehicles. A. B. C. Hardy made fifty Flint Roadsters in 1903. In 1904 the Buick Motor Car Company produced 37 cars at its new Flint plant. In 1905 W. C. Durant, of the Durant-Dort Carriage Company, became head of Buick. He incorporated the General Motors Company in 1908 with Buick as its first automobile. In a few years Chevrolet, Fisher Body, AC Spark Plug, and other auto parts makers also were established in Flint.
 

Registered Site S0180
Erected 1961

Location: 1101 South Saginaw
Flint, Genesee County

Topics:
Auto Industry
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.0113903 W83.6863535
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.