First State Prison


First State Prison photo of First State Prison
This was the original site of Michigan's first state prison, approved by the legislature in 1838. A temporary wooden prison, enclosed by a fence of tamarack poles, was built on sixty acres donated for that purpose here. In 1839 the first 35 prisoners were received. A permanent prison was built three years later. Beginning in the 1880's under Warden H. F. Hatch a greater emphasis was placed on education and rehabilitation of prisoners. After 1934 the inmates were housed in the new prison north of Jackson.
 

Registered Site S0178
Erected 1958

Location: Armory North end of Mechanic Street
Jackson, Jackson County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2568287 W84.4069826
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.