Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House


Saginaw Trail photo of Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House
The Saginaw Trail running from Detroit to Saginaw through Pontiac and Flint was originally an Indian trail. In 1816 Michigan Territorial government authorized the building of a road from Detroit to Saginaw along the trail. Part of the trail in Oakland County is now Woodward Avenue and Dixie Highway. Evidence of the original Saginaw Trail path through Royal Oak is still visible as a Depression in the ground running nortwesterly across the property adjacent ot the John Almon Starr House.
 
 
a photo of Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House John Almon Starr House
John Almon Starr (1828-1895) and his wife Nancy Quick (1831-1895), built this house from bricks fired in Almon's tile factory. Almon and his parents emigrated to Michigan from Richmond, New York in 1831, the same year Nancy was born in Royal Oak Township. Almon and his father, Orson Starr, manufactured animal bells until 1866, when Almon started his brick yard and tile works at this location later known as Starr Corners. The house was occupied by the Starr family until 1967.

Registered Site S0164
Erected 1977

Location: 3123 Crooks Road
Royal Oak, Oakland County

Topics:
Early Settlers
Native Americans


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.516876 W83.164974
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.