Bishop Baraga's First Church


Bishop Baraga's First Church photo of Bishop Baraga
Near this site, on May 15, 1832, the Rt. Rev. Frederic Baraga, then a young Catholic missionary to the Indians, established and blessed his first church. A small building of logs and bark, it was built with the willing help of the Indians and dedicated "to the honor of God under the name and patronage of his Virginal Mother Mary." Until his death in 1868 Father Baraga labored selflessly in an area from Minnesota to Sault Ste. Marie, from Grand Rapids to Eagle Harbor. World famous as a missionary, he became upper Michigan's first Roman Catholic Bishop in 1853.
 

Registered Site S0146
Erected 1958

Location: Arrowhead Rd
Manistique, Schoolcraft County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.9939504 W86.2888097
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.