St. Andrew's Parish


St. Andrew's Parish photo of St. Andrew
Beginning in 1845 the Reverend Andrew Jamieson, an Anglican missionary, served Saint John the Baptist Church on nearby Walpole Island, Ontario. In the early 1860s, Jamieson (1814 - 1885) established a mission in Algonac. He conducted morning services on Walpole Island and afternoon services in Algonac homes. The first class was confirmed in 1863, and four years later a church dedicated to Saint Andrew, was built. The Gothic Revival board-and-batten building stood on the corner of Green and Michigan streets.
 
 
Side 2
This Neo-Gothic structure was dedicated on May 7, 1916. Frances Grey Smith, a founding member, donated the funds and Detroit architect George B. Mason designed the church. In 1892, Mason had planned Detroit's Trinity Episcopal Church, one of the first churches in the nation to reflect closely in design and detailing, medieval English churches. Saint Andrew's contains fourteen stained glass windows. The window over the altar depicts Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Registered Site S0124A
Erected 1992

Location: 1507 St. Clair River Dr.
Algonac, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.6211704 W82.5288784
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.