St. Ignace Mission


St. Ignace Mission photo of St. Ignace Mission
In 1671 the mission of St. Ignace was established so that the Christian message could be brought to several thousand Indians living on this shore. The founder was Father Jacques Marquette, the Jesuit missionary. In 1673 he left on his great journey to the Mississippi Valley. He never returned to his mission before he died in 1675. Two years later his bones were reburied here beneath the chapel altar. In 1706, after French troops had abandoned the fort, the chapel was destroyed.
 

Registered Site S0092
Erected 1957

Location: 500 North State Street
St. Ignace, Mackinac County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.871363839 W84.73124295
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.