University of Michigania


University of Michigania photo of University of Michigania
The Catholepistemiad, or university, of Michigania resided in a building near this site from 1818 to 1837. Conceived by the Reverend John Montieth, Father Gabriel Richard and Judge Augustus Woodward, the university was established by territorial law on August 26, 1817. Modeled on the University of France, created by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1807, the institution was the center of a statewide system of primary, secondary and college education. Reverend Montieth, the first president, and Father Richard held the first professorships. In 1837 the university was relocated to Ann Arbor. The original building was razed in 1858.
 
 
a photo of University of Michigania Side 2
Marker Detail

Registered Site S0072
Erected 2001

Location: Behind 500 Woodward on Congress
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities
Markers with Pictures


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.33055 W83.04466
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.