St. Ignace


St. Ignace photo of St. Ignace
Pere Marquette established in 1671 the Mission of St. Ignace. French troops soon after built Fort Buade. The state's second oldest white village guarded the Straits while serving as the most important French fur post in the northwest. By 1706 both the fort and mission where abandoned. Only in the 19th century did lumbering and fishing revive the town.
 

Registered Site S0041
Erected 1957

Location: State Ferry Dock
St. Ignace, Mackinac County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.8676155 W84.7226357
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.