Mackinac Island


Mackinac Island photo of Mackinac Island
In 1670 a Jesuit priest, Fr. Claude Dablon, wintered here. The British in 1781 made it a center of their military and fur trade activity. The island was occupied by the Americans in 1796. Held by the British during the War of 1812, it became the hub of Astor's fur empire after 1817. Mackinac was already becoming a popular resort when fur trading declined in the 1830's.
 

Registered Site S0034
Erected 1956

Location: Market Street
Mackinac Island, Mackinac County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.8496008 W84.6184748
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.