Fort St. Joseph


Fort St. Joseph photo of Fort St. Joseph
The French fort built here in 1691 controlled southern Michigan's principal Indian trade routes. Missionaries and fur traders were here already. The fort became a British outpost in 1761. Two years later it was one of the forts seized by Indians during the uprising of Chief Pontiac. Still later, traders made it their headquarters. In 1781 Spanish raiders ran up the flag of Spain at the fort for a few hours.
 

Registered Site S0004
Erected 1957

Location: South Bond St.
Niles, Berrien County

Topics:
Forts


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.8127149 W86.2614727
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.