Highland Park Plant


Highland Park Plant photo of Highland Park Plant
The Ford Motor Company Highland Park Plant was built between 1909 and 1920 on the lot bounded by Woodward, Manchester and Oakland Avenues, and three railroad tracks. An office building, a garage and several machine shops once stood on this portion of the site. At this plant, Ford instituted the" five dollar day," a generous wage for the time. In factory "H", located directly east of here, he began mass producing automobiles on moving assembly lines. Detroit architect Albert Kahn designed the complex, which included offices, factories, a power plant and a foundry. In 1927, Ford shifted auto production to the River Rouge Plant in Dearborn, limiting Highland Park to truck and tractor manufacturing. The Highland Park Plant is a National Historic Landmark.
 

Other buildings designed by Albert Kahn



Registered Site S0003B
Erected 1997

Location: NE Corner of Woodward and Manchester
Highland Park, Wayne County

Topics:
Auto Industry
Commercial Buildings
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.408181 W83.096898
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.