First Congregational Church of Frankfort


First Congregational Church of Frankfort
On January 26, 1868, twenty-three early Frankfort residents founded First Congregational Church of Frankfort. They received guidance from an established Congregational Church in Benzonia, Michigan. In accordance with the practices of Congregationalism, the founders adopted a seven-article confession, covenant and by-laws to form the basis of church governance. The first elected Deacons were Richard Ball and W.H. Marsh. The Reverend A.H. Fletcher was the first pastor.
 
 
Side 2
In 1871 the members of First Congregational Church of Frankfort built this church with its eighty-seven-foot-high steeple on land donated by the Frankfort Land Company. The company's manager, Eugene B. Frost, was a charter member of the church. Donations from Frankfort residents and a loan from the Congregational Church Building Society financed the $5,000 building cost. The church completed the rear addition, built to house offices and Sunday school classrooms, in 1960.

Registered Site L2296
Erected 2017

Location: 431 Forest Ave
Frankfort, Benzie County

Topics:
Congregational Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.633714218 W86.23797385
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2017 James Brennan. All rights reserved.