Calhoun County's First Courthouse / Brooks Memorial Fountain


First Courthouse
Established in 1829, Calhoun County made Marshall its county seat in 1831. It built its first courthouse on this site between 1837 and 1840. Designed in Greek Revival style, the building had a rectangular footprint with four columns on each end. Structural problems became apparent in 1855 when a column collapsed. In 1872m after county offices had moved to nearby buildings, the courthouse was demolished. The city repurposed the site into a park featuring a bandstand and a fish pond.
 
 
Brooks Memorial Fountain
In October 1929, Marshall's Mayor, Harold C. Brooks, announced his gift to the city of an "electric fountain" in memory of his late father, Charles E. Brooks. Architect Howard F. Young, landscape engineer Herman Swanson, and engineers from General Electric collaborated on the design. At its dedication, on April 26, 1930, some seven thousand people applauded with "exclamations of surprise" and "wonderment" when the mayor's son, Craig, turned on the fountain and its multicolored lights.

Dedicated June 8, 2017

Registered Site L2287
Erected 2017

Location: Michigan Ave and Kalamazoo Ave
Marshall, Calhoun County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.272116951 W84.96416330
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2017 James Brennan. All rights reserved.