H. C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple


H. C. Lewis Art Gallery photo of H. C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple
Businessman Henry Clay Lewis and his wife, Alma, built the original part of this structure in 1869 to house their extensive art collection and make it available to the public. The Italianate building complimented the Lewises' adjacent home. Upon Alma's death on 1895, most of the art was donated to the University of Michigan in accordance with Henry's will. The building served as a Y.M.C.A. from 1896 until 1913, when it became the Masonic Temple.
 
 
Masonic Temple
The Tyre Lodge #18 Free and Accepted Masons of Coldwater organized in 1847. In 1867, Coldwater Masons and their female relatives formed the Order of the Eastern Star Chapter that became the oldest continuous Eastern Star chapter in the world. In 1913, Coldwater Masons and Eastern Stars bought the Y.M.C.A. building that had been the H. C. Lewis Art Gallery. Architect Maurice Carney redesigned the Italianate-style structure into a Mission-style buildings.

Registered Site L2258
Erected 2014

Location: 45 E Chicago St
Coldwater, Branch County

Topics:
Museums
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.940556127 W84.99873563
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.