Trinity Episcopal Church


Trinity Episcopal Church photo of Trinity Episcopal Church
The Reverend James O'Brien became Monroe's first Episcopal rector in late 1831. Early the next year he and his small congregation began building Trinity Church on what is now Loranger Square. Funds came from Ohio, Pennsylvanian and New York, as well as the congregation. The first service in the wood-frame church was held on February 3, 1833. Before daylight on March 16, 1868, a disastrous fire that engulfed part of Monroe's business district destroyed the church. The congregation turned to Gordon W. Lloyd to design this church, which includes one of the few items saved from the fire, the baptismal font. The cornerstone was laid on June 24m 1868, and services began in the fall of 1869.
 
 
Side 2
Trinity Episcopal Church features locally quarried Monroe Limestone and Sandusky Bluestone. The press noted "bright sunshine streaming through the richly stained windows in a flood of mellow light" at the February 1, 1871 dedication. The windows honor early parishioners: most were designed by George L. Burns. The three paneled Smith window in the front of the church celebrated Major Henry Smith, who died in 1847 in the Mexican War, and his brother, General Joseph Smith who served in that war and the Civil War. The Smith windows, damaged by a storm, were replaced by Tiffany Studios with "Supper at Emmaus" in 1910. The church added a parish hall and rectory in 1898 and a new parish hall in 1956.

Registered Site L2254
Erected 2014

Location: 304 South Monroe Street
Monroe, Monroe County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.913976447 W83.39988693
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.